Segmenting Users Based on Products Purchased
The goal for this campaign is to create segments of users that particularly often order certain items, so they can be targeted with specific offers.
In this example, we will create a segment of users who purchased a smoothie more than once so we can send them an in-app message about a new smoothie in the menu as they will be more likely interested in that product.
Smoothie Buyer Segment
First, we need to create the segmentation:
- In the left sidebar select Segments in Engagement section
- In the upright corner, select Create Segment button and add the name to your segment. In our case, we will call it Smoothie Buyer
- In Filters section, click Select Filter button and choose Purchased Product
- Then select Search product option and search for the first product. In our case “Caribbean Green”
- Next, select more than and enter 1 time
- Click OR button to add the next product
- Repeat the steps to add more products. In the end, you should have the list of all products that are part of the group
- Tap Save to create the segment
We can now proceed with creating the Campaign.
Step 1 - Compose
- In the left sidebar select Campaigns from Engagement section
- Select Create Campaign and choose In-App Messaging
- Add name and description to your campaign
- For Message Type choose Modal and for Layout choose Image only
Now we should compose the message to advertise new smoothie. We will use the image as it should be most effective.
- In Compose tab select Add Image button
- In Media Library layover drag and drop image or select Upload button and choose your image
- Images must be at least 600x600 pixels in order to ensure optimal display. Our recommendation is 1200x1100 pixels with space at the bottom of the image for buttons.
- Next, select uploaded image and click Insert Selected button
- Next, in Button 1 Text enter Not now, and for Button 2 Text enter Find out more
- In On Click Behavior section for Button 1 select Close Message on Android and iOS
As we want to showcase a new product we will connect the Find out more button with the news article where you can add more details about the product. Check this article about creating news in CMS.
- for Button 2 on Android and iOS select Deep Link Into App and add a link [app-scheme]://news?id=NEWSID where [app-scheme] is your URL Scheme and NEWSID is the last number in URL upon opening the respective News article in the CMS. Find out more about deep linking for news articles here.
NOTE: Please reach out to your Account Manager or firstname.lastname@example.org if you don't have your URL scheme yet.
- For Message Close, choose Wait for User Swipe or Touch
We highly recommend you to stylize your In-app message to be in line with your app and brand.
- Select Style tab and inside you can change the properties of text, buttons, and background. When satisfied with the style, save it for future use.
You can always test the message before sending it to real users:
- Select Test tab
- In Add Individual Users input field enter the email you are using to log in to the app
- Click Send Test button
- After testing, click Forward to progress to the next step
Step 2 - Delivery
- In Delivery step select Start Session for the New Trigger Action
- Click Add Trigger button
- For the Schedule Delay choose immediately
- In Campaign Duration section choose the campaign start and end date
- In the Delivery Controls - Allow users to become re-eligible to receive campaign should be unselected as we don’t want to be pushy. That can harm our app ratings.
- Click Forward to progress to the next step
Step 3 - Target Users
- In Targeting Options section for Add Segment select previously created segment Smoothie Buyers
- In the A/B Testing section unselect Control Group
- Click Forward to progress to the next step
Step 4 - Conversions
To see if your campaign is successful you should assign conversion events. This should show you how many users bought the advertised product after the campaign.
- Click Add Conversion Event button
- In Primary Conversion Event - A for Conversion Event Type choose Makes Purchase then select Make a Specific Purchase and choose a product. In our case that is Choco King
- Set Conversion Deadline to 3 days
- Click Forward to progress to the final step
Step 5 - Confirm
In the final step, you will get an overview of the changes you’ve made in all steps.
- Click Launch Campaign to start this campaign
After launching the campaign, you can check its performance by going to the Campaigns then select the campaign name. You can always edit the campaign if you click the gear wheel icon and select Edit.