We are sunsetting SureMDM (Mobile Device Manager) and the use of SureLock. This article explains when and why this is happening.
When does it happen?
From the 1st of September, we will no longer use SureLock on the Tablets that you use in your business.
Please note: this means that you have to close/exit SureLock on your Tablet MANUALLY. This is how to do it:
Manual SureLock deactivation
- Press the 'home' button on your Tablet and you will see a screen similar to this one:
- Click 5 times in the middle of the screen
- You will see a password field appearing
- Now, enter this password: 6368
- Once you do it, you will be in the SureLock Admin Settings
- Scroll all the way down and click on Exit SureLock
- Confirm the action by clicking on Exit button
- Communication: Starting from the 1st of September, we will make sure we communicate that change through various channels, so that you're properly informed.
- Support: we will always be available to help you with the transition process, including setting up devices through the Google Play Store and answering any related queries. New articles and training materials will be created to help you as well
- Phased discontinuation: SureMDM will be gradually phased out. There will be a grace period, allowing you to complete the transition and understand the new device deployment process
This is why we decided to no longer implement SureMDM/SureLock on your Tablets:
Device Ownership and Support
SureMDM is a reliable Mobile Device Management (MDM) solution for managing devices you don't own. However, as our organization expanded, we noticed an increase in personally owned devices used for work purposes. Supporting these devices became a significant challenge, as we do not have direct control over their hardware and software configurations.
Manufacturers have a deep understanding of their devices and release updates, security patches, and optimizations, but they are tailored to their specific hardware and software. By using SureMDM for not owned devices, we might be at risk of interfering with essential manufacturer-provided updates, leading to potential device instability - and that can lead to reducing your experience as the User.
As an organization, we continuously seek opportunities to optimize our operations - the more optimized we are, the better we can serve you. Maintaining an MDM platform to manage a diverse range of devices wasn't in line with that. By shifting away from SureMDM, we can allocate our resources more effectively, benefiting core business objectives and supporting you even better than before.
What happens next
Opening the Tablet App to Google Play Store
Going forward, our Tablet App will be available on the Google Play Store. This move will enable you to access the app from various Android devices, expanding the range of supported Tablets! You will have the freedom to choose devices that best suit you and your needs, helping with productivity and satisfaction.
To learn more, check this article.
Enhanced Device Enrollment Process
With the integration of the Google Play Store, device enrollment will become simpler and quicker. You can easily download the Tablet App, sign in with your credentials, and have immediate access to the required tools and resources!
Cost-Effective Device Management
When you leverage the native management features of Android and use any of Google's enterprise solutions you see fit for your business, you can significantly reduce the overall cost of device management while ensuring a seamless User experience. This means we will no longer manage your device or charge for it.
Please note: Tablets will no longer be in Kiosk Mode / restricted. You can enforce that using the tools at your disposal if you want to restrict your devices.